Subject: Re: doc bug?

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2006 10:42:32 -0800

Han-Wen Nienhuys <[email-masked]> writes:

> while messing with GIT's build system, I got
>
> **
> asciidoc -b docbook -d manpage -f ../Documentation/asciidoc.conf ../Documentation/git-tools.txt
> ERROR: git-tools.txt: line 2: malformed manpage title
> ERROR: git-tools.txt: line 6: first section must be named NAME
> ERROR: git-tools.txt: line 9: malformed NAME section body
> FAILED: /home/lilydev/vc/git/Documentation/git-tools.txt: line 9: unexpected error:

That is interesting.  git-tools is listed on ARTICLES which is
excluded from MAN1_TXT so the Makefile should not even try to
run the above commandline that says 'manpage'.

At least that is what our Makefile intends to do.

So that means you may have found a bug in our Makefile, or your
make (by the way I think we pretty much requires GNU make to
build git), or perhaps both.

But I do not see an obvious breakage in our Makefile in this
area...