Subject: Re: [PATCH] git-explain

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 15:07:01 -0800

"Martin Langhoff" <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 12/5/06, Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Junio C Hamano wrote:
>>
>> > [PATCH] git-explain
>> >
>> > This patch adds "git-explain" script that notices various clues
>> > other commands can leave the working tree and repository in and
>> > intended to guide the end user out of the confused mess.
>>
>> I like it, although I think that it explains a bit too little
>
> I like what it does too... but why not as part of git-status?

The biggest reason was that it is a demonstration of concepts,
not replacement of anything.  Maybe "git status" can be replaced
with something like that if people worked on it enough.

The current use of "git status" inside "git commit" needs to be
revamped if we pursue this further, though.  Because one of the
points the "what state is this repository in" check "explain"
does is to define what operations are sensible in each state,
and most likely in many state it would not make _any_ sense to
run "git commit" (say, in the middle of "bisect").