Subject: Re: [PATCH] Documentation: add a planning document for the next CLI revamp

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2008 14:01:20 -0800

Theodore Tso <[email-masked]> writes:

> Here are my favorites:
>
> * Add the command "git revert-file <files>" which is syntactic sugar for:
>
>         git checkout HEAD -- <files>

This is good; I do not recall offhand what we do if some of the <files> do
not appear in HEAD right now, but I have a suspicion that it would be a
no-op, in which case interested parties may first want to fix checkout to
remove such paths.

Also I thiink you can add "git revert-commit [$committish]" as a synonym
to the current "git revert [$committish]" if it makes things easier to
explain to others.

> * Change the argument handling for "git format-patch" so it is
>   consistent with everything else which takes a set of commits.  Yes,
>   it means that where people have gotten used to typing "git
>   format-patch origin", they'll have to type instead: "git
>   format-patch origin..", but's much more consistent.

I think that has already happened some time ago in the sense that you can
say "origin.."  and it does what you want.  I do not think it merits to
deprecate the original one --- if you do not like it, you do not use it
nor teach it to others.