Subject: Re: Call Me Gitless

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 15:30:27 -0700

Daniel Barkalow <[email-masked]> writes:

> if you'd get:
>
> --- (index)/foo/bar
> +++ ./foo/bar
>
> people would at least be clear on what information they were getting, even 
> if they didn't know why they were getting that as opposed to a different 
> combination.

[Removed somebody who decided not use git from CC.]

I know you mentioned this as an example of differenciating the output
between the modes, and not as a serious suggestion.  The above may apply
cleanly because "(index)" and "." are both one level deep, but they look
ugly and the filenames do not align.

It does look an interesting approach, though.

I often make a quick patch all inside the work tree, never committing, and
then send it out by including "git diff --stat -p" output in the mail as a
suggested patch.  If we did what you suggest, people could tell such a
patch and a format-patch output.  I actually do like the fact that we
consistently say "a/" vs "b/", but some people actually may prefer to see
the difference.