Subject: Re: [PATCH v6] gitweb: add test suite with Test::WWW::Mechanize::CGI

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 21:20:19 -0700

Lea Wiemann <[email-masked]> writes:

>> How it is different from PERL_PATH?
>
> Right, I didn't think of that.  PERL_PATH isn't available in the tests
> though, it's only used internally by the Makefile to generate (among
> other things) gitweb.cgi.  This means that while we can control under
> which Perl version gitweb.cgi runs, we cannot control under which Perl
> version the test suite runs (at least without $PATH trickery).  Does
> this bother us?
>
> If yes, I'd suggest we keep GITPERL but rename it to GIT_TEST_PERL,
> because that's what it's about.  If not, I'll rip it out and simply
> call 'perl' in the test shell script, whatever version it may be.

That sounds wrong, as the point of tests would be to make sure the stuff
you are going to install would work with what you thought will be used
from the system.

If "isn't available in the tests" is the problem, is it possible to make
it available?  We are passing down SHELL_PATH from primary Makefile to t/
and you should be able to do the same for Perl path...

About the Test::WWW:Mechanize::CGI thing, how widely available is it?  I
do not think it is packaged for Debian nor Ubuntu, for example.