Subject: Re: What's cooking in git/spearce.git (topics)

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 18:29:59 -0700

Theodore Tso <[email-masked]> writes:

> I assume PU is what you used to build your proposed-update branch?
> I'm actually trying to use it, and it is useful, although it hasn't
> been working for me completely perfectly.  I've still been trying to
> figure out if the reason why it hasn't been working quite right is due
> to my not understanding how to use it correctly, or whether you don't
> use it these days.

Ah, these days I almost always do:

	git checkout pu
	git reset --hard next

and then merge the topics that haven't been merged anywhere by
hand, using output from

        Meta/git-topic.perl

as the guide.

> One question which I have had about the WC script is that if I
> manually add a commit to the next branch, it ends up showing up in all
> of the topic branches as a commit that was part of that topic branch
> which is in next...

Well, the policy is never to commit directly on top of next
(iow, only merge other topics and nothing else).  Otherwise it
becomes hard to allow individual topics graduate to 'master'
independently.