Subject: Re: Cleaning up git user-interface warts

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 00:41:33 -0800

Carl Worth <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 09:57:00 -0800, "Michael K. Edwards" wrote:
>> What do you want all of those branches for?  They haven't been
>> published to you (that's a human interaction that doesn't go through
>> git), so for all you know they're just upstream experiments, and doing
>> things with them is probably shooting yourself in the foot.
>
> The same "what do you want them all for" question could be asked of
> git-clone which also fetches all available branches. I really just
> want to be able to easily watch what's going on in multiple
> repositories.
>
> I want to be able to just say "git update" (or whatever) and then be
> able to list and browse and explore the stuff locally.
>...

I have no objection to this if it is done in a controlled way
that does not make life more difficult for people who work with
multiple remote repositories.

And I think "git fetch" is the tool for what you want if
enhanced properly; see Linus's message that explaind that we
already have that support in "manually configurable" form but
initializing and maintaining the configuration is currently all
manual and can be improved.