Subject: perhaps time to remove git_blame from gitweb, and git-annotate?

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2006 01:13:15 -0700

It's been a while since we lost git_blame from %actions list.  I
am wondering maybe it's time to remove it, after 1.4.3 happens.

While I was looking at it, I noticed that it would make
git-cvsserver the last in-tree user of git-annotate.  As I
understand it, "git-blame -c" should produce compatible output
to the command, so it might also be a good time to consider
removal of git-annotate as well while updating git-cvsserver to
use git-blame instead of it.

Do people have reason to favor annotate over blame?  To keep
existing people's scripts working I think we should add a small
amount of code to blame.c to default to compatibility mode when
the command is called as git-annotate at least for a while, but
other than that I do not see much issue against scheduling for
annotate's removal.

I am not going to do anything about this right now (the "master"
branch is in freeze-and-stabilize phase), but if people have
issues I overlooked, raise hands now please?