Subject: Re: Composing git repositories

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 09:06:06 -0700

Ramkumar Ramachandra <[email-masked]> writes:

> Junio C Hamano wrote:
>> So you have to stash it somewhere.  We could have made it to move
>> them to $HOME/.safeplace or somewhere totally unrelated to the
>> superproject.  So in that sense, the repositories are *not* owned by
>> the superproject in any way.  However, you are working within the
>> context of the superproject on the submodule after all, and
>> somewhere under $GIT_DIR/ of the superorject is not too wrong a
>> place to use as such a safe place.
>
> Thanks for the explanation.

What do you _exactly_ mean by that?  You understood why things are
arranged in that way, and no longer think that it is unnecessary,
ugly and unwieldy to stash the real copy of $GIT_DIR of submodules
away from their working trees and store them inside $GIT_DIR/modules
of the superproject?

> The paths in .git/modules are unnecessary ugly and unwieldy,
> especially in the case of multiple levels of nesting...