Subject: Re: questions about git-mktree

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 10:10:46 -0700

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> Jon Seymour <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Does git-mktree normalize the sort order of the input or take it as it
>> is? I can see  a case for having it do normalization, if it doesn't
>> already and probably for this to be the default behaviour.
>
> It does have "accumulate and qsort before writing it out", since 83f5053
> (git-mktree: reverse of git-ls-tree., 2006-02-20).
>
> This program was done as a quick hack but it is so old that I forgot all
> about it.  If you are going to use it, you may have to do some reality
> checks on it first.  For example, notice that the date above predates the
> introduction of gitlinks, so I would not be too surprised if it barfed
> when given a commit object in its input.

Heh, it does verify that the object listed exists locally in the
repository, so submodules would not work in general.

I'm fixing it.  You _might_ get your recursive mktree as a side effect at
the end of the series, but no promises ;-)