Subject: Re: [PATCH] git-commit: add a prepare-commit-msg hook

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 14:44:30 -0800

Paolo Bonzini <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Actually, reading your patch again I think it also triggers for
>> "-c", as well as for "[-C|-F|-m] ... -e".
>
> Not for "-c", that's the point of the "edit_message" check.  You're
> right about "-e" though.
>
> Points taken, and patch will be resubmitted after 1.5.4.

Thanks.  I think the approach is sane, and it naturally falls
into the second category of "why we might want to a hook for"
list I sent earlier.

I do not think adding "-X makes that hook ignored" for
description of every option is warranted, though.  Users should
not have to be reminded that there is a hook he may never use
and it does not trigger if he specifies his own message using -X
or -Y or -Z option.

The usage of the hook is optional, and the primary description
of what it does and why a user might want to use it should be in
its own description (perhaps in hooks.txt and a section that
lists hooks in git-commit manpage).  As long as that description
makes it clear that the hook is a way to specify a dynamic
template in a situation that requries a fresh message, the users
who are interested in using it would perfectly well understand
that options that make git-commit not to take a fresh message
would not invoke the hook.