Subject: Re: [PATCH] Mark 'git stash [message...]' as deprecated

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2007 00:02:11 -0800

Brian Downing <[email-masked]> writes:

> Complain to STDERR unless 'git stash save' is explicitly used.
> This is in preparation for completely disabling the "default save"
> behavior of the command in the future.

Ok, but I would prefer to see this made into at least a
three-step process to ease the migration on users.  I do not
have any issue with a deprecation warning before the next big
release (1.5.4?).

The next step after this patch should not be the removal of
"defalut save".  Instead, introduce a boolean configuration,
stash.defaultsave, that defaults to false.  Without the
configuration, disable the "default save" (and do not even
mention the configuration variable, but do give the usage
message listing the commands).  But allow people to use the
"default save" behaviour with the configuration to help existing
users.  You can do this in the same release as above if you
want.

Then you would finally drop the "default save" in the next
big release after that "deprecation release".  But not before
that.

BTW, I've been quietly rewriting git-stash in C.  Be warned ;-)