Subject: Re: Status of Mac OS/X ports of git and cogito?

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 10:34:13 -0700

Patrick and Jason CC:'ed because they also have portability
issues and seem to have good ideas about how they should be
solved.  Linus CC:'ed because he once expressed rather strongly
his dislike about autoconf.

Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]> writes:

> I have three fixes in my personal tree without which git refuses to 
> compile:
>
> - daemon.c needs a define or typedef for socklen_t.

I still keep that patch around (the patch was end of July), but
have not touched it only because I did not hear from you asking
about its inclusion.

> - mailinfo.c needs to have a simple strcasestr implementation, because 
>   10.2.8 (at least in my setup) is lacking it!

Yes, I've used it knowing that it is marked as a GNU extension,
hoping if somebody else can supply a patch to work it around ;-).

I am slightly reluctant to do autoconf [*1*], but I might be
tempted to take patches if it is done cleanly.

As a workaround until I am convinced otherwise and we go fully
autoconf, I am inclined to introduce a new subdirectory in the
source tree, compat/, which would house compat/linux.h,
compat/darwin.h, compat/solaris.h and friends, and have compat.h
symlink which points at one of those files.

[Footnote]
*1* ...although I admit that I once used to be an autoconf freak
and even had a few lines of my own code in the official autoconf
distribution.  It was an ancient history, most likely before
libtool and automake came along.  The last time I checked my
changes were all superseded.