Subject: Re: [RFC & PATCH] Solaris 8: ENOSYS when mkdir applied to automount.

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 16:46:02 -0800

Jason Riedy <[email-masked]> writes:

> I guess our home directories recently were changed from symlinks
> to autmounts.  Solaris 8's mkdir(2) returns ENOSYS when applied
> to these, breaking safe_create_leading_directories.  I don't
> know if ENOSYS is available everywhere, or if this odd behavior
> is appropriate everywhere.
>
> This works for me, but should I wrap mkdir for bizarre behavior
> by adding a compat/gitmkdir.c?

There was a similar patch for working around Cygwin that threw
different errno in an earlier thread:

    From: Alex Riesen <[email-masked]>
    Subject: [PATCH] Set errno to EEXIST if mkdir returns EACCES or EPERM

Somehow I started to trust your ability to code portably a lot
better than I trust myself, so please first disregard the
suggestion I gave in that thread and give me your honest opinion
on what the right fix/workaround would be.