Subject: Re: [RFC PATCH 0/8] Git remote helpers to implement smart transports.

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2009 22:35:58 -0800

Ilari Liusvaara <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Tue, Dec 01, 2009 at 12:42:29PM -0800, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>> 
>> It is somewhat unfortunate that a few changes I liked (e.g. the "debug"
>> bit), even though it was somewhat painful to read them due to coding style
>> differences, were not at the beginning of the series but instead buried
>> after changes that are much bigger and controversial (e.g. [6/8]).
>
> Funny, I considered some other stuff in series much more controversial than
> the 6/8 one.

I didn't mean the line count by "large".  I was referring to the size of
change at the conceptual level.  As Daniel already explained, it has been
one of the design assumption so far that there are built-in mappings from
some common <scheme>:// to backend "helpers".

I am _not_ saying that that particular design assumption must be cast in
stone (nothing is)---that is a totally different matter to be debated.
But the fact that it needs to be debated means it is not "a trivial 8-line
reduction", but rather a large conceptual change (perhaps improvement).