Subject: Re: [PATCH] Ask for "git program" when asking for "git-program" over SSH connection

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 22:27:07 -0700

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> If we force --upload-pack workaround to _everybody_ we are already lost.
>
> Also I think the previous one still lets you work it around by giving a
> full path, like "/usr/local/bin/git-upload-pack", because "/usr" does not
> match "git-" ;-)

Ok, let's map this out seriously.

* 1.6.0 will install the server-side programs in $(bindir) so that 
  people coming over ssh will find them on the $PATH

* In 1.6.0 (and 1.5.6.1), we will change "git daemon" to accept both
  "git-program" and "git program" forms.  When the spaced form is used, it
  will behave as if the dashed form is requested.  This is a prerequisite
  for client side change to start asking for "git program".

* In the near future, there will no client-side change.  "git-program"
  will be asked for.

* 6 months after 1.6.0 ships, hopefully all the deployed server side will
  be running that version or newer.  Client side will start asking for
  "git program" by default, but we can still override with --upload-pack
  and friends.

* 12 months after client side changes, everybody will be running that
  version or newer.  We stop installing the server side programs in
  $(bindir) but people coming over ssh will be asking for "git program"
  and "git" will be on the $PATH so there is no issue.

The above 6 and 12 are yanked out of thin air and I am of course open to
tweaking them, but I think the above order of events would be workable.