Subject: Re: [kernel.org users] [RFD] On deprecating "git-foo" for builtins

From: Bruce Stephens <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 18:29:03 +0100

Linus Torvalds <[email-masked]> writes:

[...]

> In case you wonder, the upside is:
>
>  - new people don't even learn the mistakes
>
>  - the people who _did_ complain are happier
>
>  - this model allows a per-user-preference model even on the same machine 
>    (ie even on something like master.kernel.org, everybody can choose 
>    _individually_ whether they want to see 'git-xyzzy' or not!)

And

  - it means git aliases have the same form as builtins

  - it means git on Windows has the same interface

(Arguably the latter point ought to be "forces Unix users to use the
same interface as on Windows", but the git-foo forms have been
deprecated on all platforms for a while.  Making Unix and Windows the
same seems a worthwhile goal, though presumably it's irrelevant for
linux kernel people.)