Subject: Re: Can I enforce required approval on some files

From: Bruce Stephens <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 21:45:01 +0100

Dominik Gront <[email-masked]> writes:

> I have been a happy SVN user for quite a long time, but now I miss
> some functionality in Subversion. I wonder if it could be done in git.
> If so, I convert to git right away :-)
>
> There are some files in our repository that all their modification
> need to be approved by a project leader.

Either have the repository owned by someone who'll do whatever checking
you want (which seems to be common at least amongst the public projects)
or use hooks in a shared repository.  Specifically the update hook.

The hook can do whatever checking you deem appropriate.  At work we have
it check the commit message for Signed-off-by names (in our context it
really means Reviewed-by; we use sob because that's more convenient to
add).  The hook could look at which files are changed or whatever else
you wanted.  (Notice it gets called to update a ref, and that may
involve more than one commit, so be sure to check all the relevant
commits.)

[...]