Subject: Re: How can I do an automatic stash when doing a checkout?

From: Bruce Stephens brs <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2011 11:45:55 +0000

DeMarcus <[email-masked]> writes:

[...]

> This is not how it works with git, where when I want to change branch
> I have to do a git checkout. However, that leaves all the modified and
> untracked files in the directory of the branch I switched to. This is
> seldom the behavior I want.
>
> With the git stash command I can clean the directory the way I want
> but the stash command is not connected to a particular branch.
>
> Is there a way to have git checkout do an automatic stash when doing a
> checkout to another branch, and then do an automatic git stash apply
> with the correct stash when changing back to the previous branch
> again?

You probably don't want to use stash. Just commit whatever partial work
you've done.

You could also just checkout different branches in different
directories. Nothing wrong with doing that in git.

[...]