Subject: Re: [RFC PATCH] Re: Empty directories...

From: David Kastrup <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 05:54:10 +0200

David Kastrup <[email-masked]> writes:

> The only difference is that I am calling the file ".".  Which is in
> _all_ respects nothing more than a naming convention.
>
> However, this convention has distinct advantages over ".notignore":
>
> a) I don't have to depart as far from reality.  Whenever I try
> registering ".", I can rely on the work directory actually _having_
> "." as a _real_, not a pseudofile.  It will not actually be a
> _regular_ file as I'll tell git: that's a wart of my prototype
> implementation which will, no doubt, eventually be fixed by others
> _if_ the code does its job fine apart from being ugly to look at.

Update: well, I am still digging through the code, but this is all so
well factored that it might be perfectly feasible to have S_ISDIR
entries after all without too much of a hassle.

-- 
David Kastrup, Kriemhildstr. 15, 44793 Bochum