Subject: Re: `git stash pop` UX Problem

From: Stephen Leake <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 07:25:10 -0600

Matthieu Moy <[email-masked]> writes:

> Omar Othman <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Though I don't know why you think this is important:
>>> Now, the real question is: when would Git stop showing this advice. I
>>> don't see a real way to answer this, and I'd rather avoid doing just a
>>> guess.
>> If it is really annoying for the user, we can just have a
>> configuration parameter to switch this message on/off.
>
> Just saying "You have X stash" is OK to me as long as there is an option
> to deactivate it.

+1

> Hinting "You should now run "git stash drop"." OTOH is far more dangerous
> if guessed wrong. Keeping a stash active when you don't need it does no
> real harm, but droping one you actually needed is data loss.

I agree giving possibly incorrect advice is bad.

Can you construct a use case where git will give incorrect advice? 

I don't know git well enough to do that, nor to assert that it will never
happen. 

I think we need a more concrete proposal to move this forward.

-- 
-- Stephe