Subject: Re: [RFC PATCH] Re: Empty directories...

From: David Kastrup <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 08:08:14 +0200

"Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]> writes:

> Sadly yes.  But I don't think that's what the folks who want to
> track empty directories want to have happen here.
>
> Which is why I'm thinking we just need to track the directory, as a
> node in the index, even if there are files in it, and even if we got
> that directory and its contained files there by just unpacking
> trees.

I have come to about the same conclusion.  So if
backward-compatibility is any concern, one needs to work with some
sort of extension records, and designing them in a way that

new-git add tree
old-git rm tree

will not leave empty subdirectories in the index will be tricky, to
say the least.  One will likely have to add an extension record
"directory" for each directory as well as "my containing dir takes
care of itself" to each file that has been added with new-git and has
had its parent directory entered by other means.

-- 
David Kastrup, Kriemhildstr. 15, 44793 Bochum