Subject: Re: if YOU use a Windows GUI for Git, i would appreciate knowing which one and why

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 May 2019 20:12:10 +0200

"_g e r r y _ _l o w r y _"
<[email-masked]> writes:

> ----------------------------------------
>
> QUESTION:  if YOU use a Windows GUI for Git, i would appreciate knowing which one and why
>
> i have been asked to look at GUI versions of Git for Windows.
>
> https://git-scm.com/download/gui/windows currently lists 22 options.
>
> if i had more time left in my life and the option, because of my own
> nature, i'd likely download and evaluate all 22 - Mr.T would
> pity the fool that i often can be.
>
> CAUTION:  i am not looking for anyone to disparage other Git Windows GUIs.
>
> Let me break down the question into 4 parts:
>
> [1a] Which do you prefer:  Git GUI, Git command line?
> [1b] What is your reason for your [1a] preference?
>
> [2a] if applicable, which Git GUI do you prefer?
> [2b] What is your reason for your [2a] preference?

I use both Git GUI and Git command line - but for different things.  I
use integration with editor / IDE (in my case GNU Emacs and Magit, plus
git-gutter+) to commit changes, amend commits, sometimes for push and
pull; and for having constant reminder which files changed and/or which
lines changed.

I use Git command line for more advanced stuff, mostly because I am used
to it.  Things like interactive rebase, fetch, pull, push, stash and
unstash, undoing changes via reflog, submodules stuff, etc.

I found that with Git GUI (to be more exact git-gui from Git) it is
easier to do incremental add / incremental commit from GUI.  If you use
`git blame`, I highly recommend `git gui blame`.

Hope that helps,
--
Jakub Narębski