Subject: [PATCH/RFC 0/2] custom format for interactive rebase todo

From: William Clifford <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2014 21:47:56 -0700

I'm sorry if this shows up twice. I messed up the first time.

I was recently in a situation of rebasing a topic branch with many
commits by several colleagues and I thought it would be useful if I
could see the author of the commit in the commit table in the rebase
todo file. I wanted try to squash commits by the same author where
appropriate. With the help of Matt Boeh, we figured out how to patch in
custom formatting of this line, and I have been trying it out for the
last couple of weeks and it seems to work pretty well.

A couple of examples:

- `git config sequence.format "%<(12,trunc)%ae %s"`
- `git config sequence.format "%s <%aN %aE>"`
- `git config sequence.format "%s%n%%n%b"`

The first one tries to conserve linespace, which is a good idea for
these formats. The second one could be really long but otherwise
harmless. I'm unsure what would happen if I tried to rebase with the
third style unedited or uncommented. I'm wary of casually testing it. It
does not seem like a good idea, and should perhaps be discouraged.

Please let me know what you think.

William Clifford (2):
  Add sequence.format to interactive rebase
  Add documentation of sequence.format to interactive rebase

 Documentation/config.txt   |  9 +++++++++
 git-rebase--interactive.sh | 14 +++++++++++++-
 2 files changed, 22 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)

-- 
William Clifford

Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
X-Draft-From: ("INBOX")