Subject: Re: gitweb on OpenBSD (-T not supported on filesystems...)

From: [email-masked] (Randal L. Schwartz)
Date: 17 Sep 2006 08:07:03 -0700

>>>>> "Jakub" == Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]> writes:

Jakub> I thought that OpenBSD has perhaps distributed some old Perl version that
Jakub> doesn't have -X tests (including -T/-B) on filehandles.

>> When I try the original -T $fd I get: 
>> 
>> Software error:
>> -T and -B not implemented on filehandles at /var/www/htdocs/git/gitweb.cgi  
>> line 1598.

Jakub> So this means that Perl implementation in OpenBSD is flawed.

No, see "perldoc perldiag":

       "-T" and "-B" not implemented on filehandles
           (F) Perl can't peek at the stdio buffer of filehandles when it
           doesn't know about your kind of stdio.  You'll have to use a file-
           name instead.

So the problem is that OpenBSD has a stdio that is not what the Perl authors
anticipated, because it requires peeking behind official interfaces.  Perl
isn't flawed. :)

-- 
Randal L. Schwartz - Stonehenge Consulting Services, Inc. - +1 503 777 0095
<[email-masked]> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>
Perl/Unix/security consulting, Technical writing, Comedy, etc. etc.
See PerlTraining.Stonehenge.com for onsite and open-enrollment Perl training!