Subject: Re: cloning the kernel - why long time in "Resolving 313037 deltas"

From: [email-masked] (Randal L. Schwartz)
Date: 18 Dec 2006 14:26:36 -0800

>>>>> "Linus" == Linus Torvalds <[email-masked]> writes:

>> So that *was* a local delay.

Linus> Ok, interesting. Two questions:

Linus>  - what does "top" say (is it CPU-bound? Is it perhaps blowing out your 
Linus>    disk cache? Is it swapping?)

Not swapping, but CPU bound.

Linus>  - do you have "oprofile" (or even just pgprof) to see where the *hell* 
Linus>    that time is spent, if it's actually CPU?

I'm a "bear of very little brane" regarding code development on OSX.  I
can ask around to see if there's someway to profile this.

Linus> You're running this under OS X, aren't you? It's a pig of an OS, but 
Linus> "almost one hour" vs "25 seconds" is still unreasonable.

I agree!

-- 
Randal L. Schwartz - Stonehenge Consulting Services, Inc. - +1 503 777 0095
<[email-masked]> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>
Perl/Unix/security consulting, Technical writing, Comedy, etc. etc.