Subject: Re: Newbie grief

From: [email-masked] (Randal L. Schwartz)
Date: Tue, 01 May 2012 14:39:44 -0700

>>>>> "Rich" == Rich Pixley <[email-masked]> writes:

>> I can always "git fetch origin" in my repo, and the remote
>> branches are in "origin/master, origin/foo, origin/bar".  Totally
>> separate from my working tree.

Rich> Sure.  You can fetch other branches, (unless you happen to be
Rich> checked out from them).  But you can't fetch to master if you're
Rich> checked out from master.

No, you are still missing it.

"git fetch" updates the remote tracking branches, which you commonly
reference preceded by "origin".  So "git fetch" DOES NOT TOUCH "master".
It touches only "origin/master".

Only when you merge that remote in to your local master do you need to
worry about dirty trees or broken merges.

Rich> My particular situation is that I'm developing a "feature" and to
Rich> do that, I need to be testing on multiple machines.  Tens of them.

I think you're now confusing git with a deploy system.  That is also
something that will lead you to unnecessary grief.  Pick a deploy system
that's not git, and integrate git with it.

Rich> I really don't want hundreds of named branches that I must
Rich> manually merge from constantly.

I don't see how you would end up with this.

-- 
Randal L. Schwartz - Stonehenge Consulting Services, Inc. - +1 503 777 0095
<[email-masked]> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>
Smalltalk/Perl/Unix consulting, Technical writing, Comedy, etc. etc.
See http://methodsandmessages.posterous.com/ for Smalltalk discussion