Subject: Re: lost again on syntax change - local repository?

From: [email-masked] (Randal L. Schwartz)
Date: 28 Nov 2005 05:04:40 -0800

>>>>> "Junio" == Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

Junio> If it is not absolutely necessary that you need to use Cogito,
Junio> IOW, if git barebone Porcelains are good enough for your use,
Junio> the following may be adequate.

Well, then, you should get rid of cogito/Documentation/introduction.html,
if you don't plan on supporting the interfaces described there.

I'm really just starting out. I see that tutorial, and I want to do it.

Junio> 	$ echo >.git/remotes/origin <<EOF
Junio> 	URL: /path/to/remote.git/
Junio>         Push: master
Junio>         Pull: master:origin
Junio>         EOF

Ugh, ugh ugh ugh.

Junio> 	$ git push origin

Junio> I said "may be" because I do not understand the sequence before
Junio> "At this point"; how your local.git is initially set up to
Junio> relate to the remoge.git.  I do not see local.git being created
Junio> by cloning remote.git.

I can't, because I have to do the first push.  This is what I was told
last time!

I'm doing what I'm told, and now more things are breaking.  This is
frustrating.

I'm not saying that you guys aren't doing a hell of a job.  I'm just
coming at this from a user's perspective, and trying to describe it to
others.  I'm not comfortable yet, because every time I try to do what
the manuals say, it breaks.  Perhaps y'all are secretly working around
every broken thing, but I don't know enough to do that.

Junio>   But modulo that the above should work
Junio> fine; I do that as a cheap backup on my local machine.

So, give me the exact steps, using "cg" to:

        create a "remote" repo on my disk
        create a "local" repo on my disk
        set up the linkage between remote and local
        push from local to remote
        pull from remote to local

And if it ever needs a command like "cat" or "echo", something is
wrong.  I'll accept a "git-" command for one or two of the steps, but
that feels like dropping into assembler instead of C.

-- 
Randal L. Schwartz - Stonehenge Consulting Services, Inc. - +1 503 777 0095
<[email-masked]> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>
Perl/Unix/security consulting, Technical writing, Comedy, etc. etc.
See PerlTraining.Stonehenge.com for onsite and open-enrollment Perl training!