Subject: Re: [DISCUSSION] Growing the Git community

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2019 16:27:36 +0200

"brian m. carlson" <[email-masked]> writes:

> I think GitGitGadget is a useful tool which I haven't really had the
> time to learn how to use.  I appreciate that many people prefer a
> patch-based workflow, and that using a patch-based workflow and a
> mailing list provides the project independence and avoids favoring any
> hosting platform or tool, which I agree with.
>
> I think also that many folks find a pull request-based workflow to be
> easier and more familiar and supporting this a bit better may lower the
> barrier to entry, so I'm in favor of bridges that make contributing
> easier, even if one still needs to subscribe to the list to get
> feedback.       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  ^^^^^^^^

Actually you can get feedback without having to subscribe to git mailing
list; and I am not talking here about GitGitGadget gathering response
like GitHub Issues <-> mail bridge.  You can get your feedback via
public-inbox.org, and respond to feedback via public-inboc.org mail to
[Usenet] news interface, reading and replying via NNTP (or replying via
email from thread read via NNTP):
  nntp://news.public-inbox.org/inbox.comp.version-control.git

Unfortunately it looks like newsreaders are dying category of
applications.  KDE's KNode got discontinued in 2015, XPN (X Python
Newsreader) last release had in 2009, MicroPlanet Gravity in 2010; there
is still Pan, Gnus for GNU Emacs; some e-mail clients also have support
for Usenet, like Mozilla Thunderbird (and SeaMonkey), Sylpheed and Claws
Mail.

This technique might not be described in our documentation...

Best,
-- 
Jakub Narębski