Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] git-svnconvert: YASI (Yet Another SVN importer)

From: [email-masked] (Randal L. Schwartz)
Date: 09 Apr 2006 15:06:55 -0700

>>>>> "Johannes" == Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]> writes:

Johannes> I have _never_ seen a setup where Ruby was installed by
Johannes> default. Perl always, Python often.

OSX includes ruby by default.

Johannes> Furthermore, my feeling is that we are in the beginning phase of
Johannes> migration from scripting languages (which are good for prototyping)
Johannes> towards plain C.  So adding yet another scripting language
Johannes> dependency is a little backwards.

You seem a bit prejudiced here.  Are there performance problems in
the Perl and python parts of git?  If so, concentrate first on optimizing
the code where it matters.  Then, creating bindings to the "git lib"
so that the heavy lifting can be done in C while still providing for
the basic algorithms to be written in a higher level language.

It would be a step *backwards* to recode all of git in C.

Now, the *shell* parts, on the other hand, are screaming for a rewrite into
Perl or Python.  fork-fork-fork and worrying about escaping special characters
needlessly burns a lot of cpu and programmer time.

-- 
Randal L. Schwartz - Stonehenge Consulting Services, Inc. - +1 503 777 0095
<[email-masked]> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>
Perl/Unix/security consulting, Technical writing, Comedy, etc. etc.
See PerlTraining.Stonehenge.com for onsite and open-enrollment Perl training!