Subject: Re: pull into dirty working tree

From: [email-masked] (Randal L. Schwartz)
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 13:52:35 -0700

>>>>> "Alex" == Alex Riesen <[email-masked]> writes:

Alex> No, it wont. What files are you going to add?

Whatever you are working on.  Whatever you want tracked.  It's a commit.
I'm not sure why you're having trouble following me.  What did I leave out?

>> git-rebase *will* do the merge.  It must. :)

Alex> It won't merge anything which isn't known to git.

And that's irrelevant, because my first step *did* a commit so they are
*known* to git.

Alex>  Now, I come to think
Alex> about it, no existing merge method will help you here (and very likely
Alex> it shouldn't).

Yes, it should.  You're merging your changes onto the upstream.  This
happens dozens of times a day with git repos all over the world. :)

Alex> It is actually much simplier doing things right: all this stashing
Alex> people keep talking about.

Yes, and that's what I said too.

-- 
Randal L. Schwartz - Stonehenge Consulting Services, Inc. - +1 503 777 0095
<[email-masked]> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>
Perl/Unix/security consulting, Technical writing, Comedy, etc. etc.
See PerlTraining.Stonehenge.com for onsite and open-enrollment Perl training!