Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/2] better introduction of GIT with USE_NSEC defined

From: Kjetil Barvik <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2009 08:17:28 +0100

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> Kjetil Barvik <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Change the source code such that when USE_NSEC is not defined,
>> possible nanosecond timestamps will still be saved in the index file,
>> but not used inside if-test's, and will therefore not affect the
>> outcome of GIT commands, other than the saved nanosecond timestamps in
>> the index file.
>>
>> This will make it easier to use a system with 2 versions of GIT, one
>> with and one without USE_NSEC defined.
>
> I take it that you are responding to my earlier question with this
> patch?

  Yes, you are correct.

 [....]
>     How does this affect a use case where the same index file used with two 
>     instances of git (one compiled with and another without USE_NSEC)?

  If both persons in this use case use this patch, the one with USE_NSEC
  defined will now be able to take full advantage of the nanosecond
  timestamps at all times.

  The one without USE_NSEC defined should not be able to tell the
  difference (without looking into to details of the index file).

  -- kjetil