Subject: git installation (as private user) should NEVER write site_perl

From: [email-masked] (Randal L. Schwartz)
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 09:18:15 -0800

I tried to install git on a system where I was a normal user.  Of course,
this step fails:

     Installing /usr/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/Error.pm
     Installing /usr/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/Git.pm

But on a larger level, this should never have even been attempted, whether I
was a private user OR the box administrator.  The git installation should NOT
be installing things into the site_perl directory, which is owned by the CPAN
installation tools, and also by the various packaging tools, and is also seen
by non-git users of Perl on the machine.  (It would be bad to have two
different versions of Error.pm now being seen by all users.)

If git wants to add local Perl modules, they belong in ${prefix}/lib/perl/
or something, with the appropriate "use lib" added to the Perl scripts.

No patches attached, but this is a showstopper for my client, and a bit of a
shocker for me.

-- 
Randal L. Schwartz - Stonehenge Consulting Services, Inc. - +1 503 777 0095
<[email-masked]> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>
Perl/Unix/security consulting, Technical writing, Comedy, etc. etc.
See PerlTraining.Stonehenge.com for onsite and open-enrollment Perl training!