Subject: Re: metastore

From: [email-masked] (Randal L. Schwartz)
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 16:33:31 -0700

>>>>> "Grzegorz" == Grzegorz Kulewski <[email-masked]> writes:

Grzegorz> Not only for tracking /etc or /home but also for example for "web
Grzegorz> applications" (for example in PHP). In that case file and directory
Grzegorz> permissions can be as important as the source code tracked and it is pain to
Grzegorz> chmod (and sometimes chown) all files to different values after each
Grzegorz> checkout. Not speaking about potential race.

Uh, works just fine for me to manage my web site content.  The point is
that I treat git for what it is... a source code management system.
And then I have a Makefile that "installs" my source code into the live
directory, with the right modes during installation.

Why does everyone keep wanting "work dir == live dir".  Ugh!  The work dir is
the *source*... it gets *copied* into your live dir *somehow*.  And *that* is
where the meta information needs to be.  In that "somehow".

-- 
Randal L. Schwartz - Stonehenge Consulting Services, Inc. - +1 503 777 0095
<[email-masked]> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>
Perl/Unix/security consulting, Technical writing, Comedy, etc. etc.
See PerlTraining.Stonehenge.com for onsite and open-enrollment Perl training!