Subject: Re: [BUG] daemon.c blows up on OSX

From: [email-masked] (Randal L. Schwartz)
Date: 20 Dec 2006 15:17:10 -0800

>>>>> "Linus" == Linus Torvalds <[email-masked]> writes:

Linus> 	#define _XOPEN_SOURCE_EXTENDED 1 /* AIX 5.3L needs this */
Linus> 	#define _GNU_SOURCE
Linus> 	#define _BSD_SOURCE

Well, _GNU_SOURCE and _BSD_SOURCE only get defined, and only by some
oddballs that aren't relevant here.

Linus> sequence actually _disables_ those things.

Linus> Some googling finds a python source diff:

Linus> 	   # On Mac OS X 10.4, defining _POSIX_C_SOURCE or _XOPEN_SOURCE
Linus> 	   # disables platform specific features beyond repair.
Linus> 	-  Darwin/8.*)
Linus> 	+  Darwin/8.*|Darwin/7.*)
Linus> 	     define_xopen_source=no
Linus> 	     ;;

Linus> (and Ruby shows up as well in the google)

Linus> Can you try to grovel around in the OS X headers, and see what the magic 
Linus> is to enable all the compatibility crud on OS X?

But yes, _XOPEN_SOURCE_EXTENDED definitely does some damage to
curses.h.  However, I don't see how that's relevant to strings.h
or the others I need.  There's no "config" for "compatibility".
Welcome to Linux vs Unix. :)

What I do know is (a) it worked before the header changes and (b)
the patch I just gave you works.  If the patch doesn't break others,
can we just leave it in?

-- 
Randal L. Schwartz - Stonehenge Consulting Services, Inc. - +1 503 777 0095
<[email-masked]> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>
Perl/Unix/security consulting, Technical writing, Comedy, etc. etc.