Subject: Re: git installation (as private user) should NEVER write site_perl

From: [email-masked] (Randal L. Schwartz)
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 10:53:29 -0800

>>>>> "Randal" == Randal L Schwartz <[email-masked]> writes:

>>>>> "Randal" == Randal L Schwartz <[email-masked]> writes:
Randal> If git wants to add local Perl modules, they belong in
Randal> ${prefix}/lib/perl/ or something, with the appropriate "use lib" added
Randal> to the Perl scripts.

Randal> Oddly enough, if I define NO_PERL_MAKEMAKER, I get the behavior I want.

Randal> I suggest that NO_PERL_MAKEMAKER is the *only* correct behavior in this case,
Randal> so I propose that the code be made unconditional, and the Makemaker stuff be
Randal> pulled out.

So, something spookier is happening on this solaris box then.  I can
see that if MakeMaker is used, the Makefile.PL is referring to INST_LIBDIR
which should indeed be private inside git's area.  And in fact, I can
verify on my laptop that Git.pm was indeed installed into /opt/git/lib/site_perl/5.8.8/

I don't know why this isn't working on solaris. :( It might be that the
MakeMaker is too old, and doesn't respect the same prefix elements.

Call off the hounds... I can locally work around it by setting
NO_PERL_MAKEMAKER, and suspect I won't have anything further to contribute to
the core on this matter.

-- 
Randal L. Schwartz - Stonehenge Consulting Services, Inc. - +1 503 777 0095
<[email-masked]> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>
Perl/Unix/security consulting, Technical writing, Comedy, etc. etc.
See PerlTraining.Stonehenge.com for onsite and open-enrollment Perl training!