Subject: Re: What's in git.git

From: [email-masked] (Randal L. Schwartz)
Date: 21 Mar 2006 18:18:04 -0800

>>>>> "Junio" == Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

Junio>  - cvsimport post-import checkout fix.

Junio>    Earlier we had a workaround to deal with people who import
Junio>    into the current branch by not checking out.  After
Junio>    incrementally importing from the same CVS repository again,
Junio>    however, the code did update the branch head.  This made the
Junio>    working tree and the index stale and was causing more
Junio>    confusion than it avoided.

Junio>    This fix is to make re-importing act more like git-pull, not
Junio>    git-fetch.  So if you run an incremental import into the
Junio>    current branch, it tries to fast-forward the working tree and
Junio>    index (your current branch head, index and working tree had
Junio>    better be pristine with respect to the CVS repository for
Junio>    this, but that is already an requirement for a tracking
Junio>    branch anyway) when your current branch is the tracking
Junio>    branch, or merge the imported result into your current branch
Junio>    if you are using a separate tracking branch.

Junio>    I've done some testing on this myself, but am waiting for
Junio>    independent confirmations from cvsimport users.  Merlyn?

I'm waiting for that CVS tree to change again.  It changes every
4-5 days.

-- 
Randal L. Schwartz - Stonehenge Consulting Services, Inc. - +1 503 777 0095
<[email-masked]> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>
Perl/Unix/security consulting, Technical writing, Comedy, etc. etc.
See PerlTraining.Stonehenge.com for onsite and open-enrollment Perl training!