Subject: Re: What's cooking in git.git (Oct 2023, #01; Mon, 2)

From: Sergey Organov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2023 10:01:02 +0300

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

[...]

> * so/diff-merges-d (2023-09-11) 2 commits
>  - diff-merges: introduce '-d' option
>  - diff-merges: improve --diff-merges documentation
>
>  Teach a new "-d" option that shows the patch against the first
>  parent for merge commits (which is "--diff-merges=first-parent -p").

Which happens to naturally mean "show diff for all commits" for the
user.

>
>  Letting a less useful combination of options squat on short-and-sweet
>  "-d" feels dubious. source:
>  <[email-masked]>

I believe I've addressed this in details in my reply here:
<[email-masked]>, and got no further objections from you
since then, so I figure I'd ask to finally let the patch in.

To summarize my position here, "-d" meaning "show me *d*iff for all
commits", as implemented in the patch, is very mnemonic, has natural
semantics for "-d" in the context of "git log", and is straight to the
point. Therefore it is indeed short-and-sweet compared to the only
alternative proposed: "follow first parent only while traversing history
and show me diffs for all commits", that would indeed need a different
short-cut, if any.

Thanks,
-- Sergey Organov