Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/2] Add cmd_gud and detect libiconv path for Mac OS

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2021 12:50:48 +0200

On Tue, Sep 07 2021, Colin Curtis wrote:

> From: Colin Curtis <[email-masked]>
>
> The gud command opens the Pro Git book webpage in the default
> web browser.  The reason to add this command is due to the
> play on words when saying 'git gud', which sounds like 'get good'.
> Hence this command when invoked will open up the Pro Git 
> webpage to allow the user to 'get good' at git.

Purely in terms of implementation if we had this sort of thing it really
would belong in "git help", not in an overly cleverly named new
built-in.

More generally we don't link to git-scm.org now for anything
significant, AFAICT the only things we do link to are to our own
generated documentation.

[Not with my Git PLC hat on, in case anyone's wondering]

I don't think we should be further endorsing proprietary documentation
in liue of improving the free docs in git.git itself.

If this command (whether via "git help" or not) linked to anything it
should be to our own https://git-scm.com/docs/user-manual; if there's
things lacking there let's try to improve the freely available docs.

And purely in terms of UX once we had such freely available docs we
should not be opening a webpage to display them, but linking to a
manpage etc. Perhaps we should be opening a webpage, and indeed "git
help" can do that for you, but that should be to docs we have built
locally & are guaranteed to apply to the git version you're working
with.