Subject: Re: [PATCH 02/13] submodule--helper: get remote names from any repository

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2021 14:37:51 +0200

On Tue, Sep 07 2021, Atharva Raykar wrote:

> `get_default_remote()` retrieves the name of a remote by resolving the
> refs from of the current repository's ref store.
>
> Thus in order to use it for retrieving the remote name of a submodule,
> we have to start a new subprocess which runs from the submodule
> directory.
>
> Let's instead introduce a function called `repo_get_default_remote()`
> which takes any repository object and retrieves the remote accordingly.
>
> `get_default_remote()` is then defined as a call to
> `repo_get_default_remote()` with 'the_repository' passed to it.

I'd find this easier to follow if this were just squashed into the next
commit. Both are rather small, but following the context of first adding
a function, then using it, instead of just adding it, changing the old
users etc. is harder than just having it in one commit.