Subject: Re: [PATCH 22/25] Remove unused kwset.[ch]

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2021 17:45:38 +0100

On Wed, Feb 03 2021, Carlo Arenas wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 at 6:13 AM Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
> wrote:
>
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 03 2021, Carlo Arenas wrote:
>>
>> > this is still being used in Linux without Glibc (ex: alpine or void that
>> > use musl), and other OS that rely on the compat layer by default for
>> legacy
>> > reasons (ex: macOS and Windows) or where PCRE2 is not widely
>> used/available
>> > (ex: OpenBSD, NetBSD)
>>
>> Are you perhaps confusing kwset with NO_REGEX=1 and compat/regex/*? I
>> just say that because that's a common "Linux without Glibc" && musl
>> fallback.
>>
>
> Indeed, my bad!
>
> FWIW I was not arguing against this patchset with my comment, and I agree
> with you that the less old unmaintainable code git has, the better.
> will give this patchset a spin as time allows and hopefully report back
> with some more useful feedback.

No worries, the whole fallback mechanism is quite confusing. One thing
we've got going for us is a hard dependency on REG_STARTEND.

I'm not doing this in this series, but I do have my eye on eventually
migrating other things that use regexec_buf() (and thus might need to
match across a \0) to the grep API, and dropping compat/regex/ in favor
of some version of compat/pcre2/.