Subject: Re: [RFC PATCH] cherry-pick: set default `--mainline` parent to 1

From: Sergey Organov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2019 15:01:44 +0300

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

[...]

> But I do have a very strong opinion against adding yet another
> option that takes an optional argument.  If we want to allow
> cherry-picking a merge commit just as easy as cherrry-picking a
> single-parent commit, "git cherry-pick -m merge" (assuming 'merge'
> is the tip of a branch that is a merge commit) that still requires
> the user to say "-m" is not a good improvement.  We should just
> accept "git cherry-pick merge" without any "-m" if we want to move
> in this direction, I would think.

Let's just make '-m 1' the default option indeed. No need for further
complexities.

Exactly according to what Junio has already said before. Here:

https://public-inbox.org/git/[email-masked]

Junio wrote:

> Now, it appears, at least to me, that the world pretty much accepted
> that the first-parent worldview is often very convenient and worth
> supporting by the tool, so the next logical step might be to set
> opts->mainline to 1 by default (and allow an explicit "-m $n" from
> the command line to override it).  But that should happen after this
> patch lands---it is logically a separate step, I would think.

... and as that patch already landed...

-- Sergey