Subject: Re: [PATCH] format-patch: do not let its diff-options affect --range-diff (was Re: [PATCH 2/2] format-patch: allow for independent diff & range-diff options)

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2018 10:24:07 +0100

On Fri, Nov 30 2018, Junio C Hamano wrote:

> Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>>> I had to delay -rc2 to see these last minute tweaks come to some
>>> reasonable place to stop at, and I do not think we want to delay the
>>> final any longer or destablizing it further by piling last minute
>>> undercooked changes on top.
>>
>> So how about doing this on top of 'master' instead?  As this leaks
>> *no* information wrt how range-diff machinery should behave from the
>> format-patch side by not passing any diffopt, as long as the new
>> code I added to show_range_diff() comes up with a reasonable default
>> diffopts (for which I really would appreciate extra sets of eyes to
>> make sure), this change by definition cannot be wrong (famous last
>> words).
>
> As listed in today's "What's cooking" report, I've merged this to
> 'next' in today's pushout and planning to have it in the -rc2.  I am
> not married to this exact implementation, and I'd welcome to have an
> even simpler and less disruptive solution if exists, but I am hoping
> that this is a good-enough interim measure for the upcoming release,
> until we decide what to do with the customizability of range-diff
> driven by format-patch.
>
> In addition to this, I am planning the "rebase --stat" and "reflog
> that does not say 'rebase -i' but 'rebase'" fixes merged to 'master'
> before cutting -rc2.

Thanks a lot, yeah having this wait looks good to me.