Subject: Re: [RFC PATCH v1] telemetry design overview (part 1)

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 11:40:57 +0200

On Thu, Jun 07 2018, Johannes Sixt wrote:

> Am 07.06.2018 um 16:53 schrieb [email-masked]:
>> From: Jeff Hostetler <[email-masked]>
>>
>> I've been working to add code to Git to optionally collect telemetry data.
>> The goal is to be able to collect performance data from Git commands and
>> allow it to be aggregated over a user community to find "slow commands".
>
> Seriously? "add code to collect telemetry data" said by somebody whose
> email address ends with @microsoft.com is very irritating. I really
> don't want to have yet another switch that I must check after every
> update that it is still off.

To elaborate a bit on Jeff's reply (since this was discussed in more
detail at Git Merge this year), the point of this feature is not to ship
git.git with some default telemetry, but so that in-house users of git
like Microsoft, Dropbox, Booking.com etc. can build & configure their
internal versions of git to turn on telemetry for their own users.

There's numerous in-house monkeypatches to git on various sites (at
least Microsoft & Dropbox reported having internal patches already).
Something like this facility would allow us to agree on some
implementation that could be shipped by default (but would be off by
default), those of us who'd make use of this feature already have "root"
on those user's machines, and control what git binary they use etc,
their /etc/gitconfig and so on.