Subject: Re: Possible bug in git log with date ranges

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2018 14:17:22 +0200

On Mon, Apr 02 2018, David Hoyle wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Hopefully I've read the readme file correctly for submitting something
> that might be a bug.
>
> I've recently migrated projects from an old version control system
> (JEDI VCS) to Git (which I really like BTW). The way this was done was
> by extracting the files from the original database and saving them to
> a folder layout and then running git add / commit on the files. When
> using the commit command I've used the --date switch to commit the
> files using their original dates. However if I run git log with say
> --since=date it seems as if this command uses the actual date the
> commit was entered not the date given for the commit. The same seems
> to apply to the other date filtering switches.

The --date=* switch to git-commit sets the author date, but the date
narrowing options to git-log use the committer date. See if when you
run:

    git log --pretty=format:"%aD - %cD"

Whether what you're getting doesn't make sense in terms of the second
date.

You can use GIT_COMMITTER_DATE to get what you want, see "DATE FORMATS"
in git-commit(1).