Subject: Re: [PATCH 00/14] Serialized Commit Graph

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2018 16:46:07 +0100

On Thu, Jan 25 2018, Derrick Stolee jotted:

> * 'git log --topo-order -1000' walks all reachable commits to avoid
>   incorrect topological orders, but only needs the commit message for
>   the top 1000 commits.
>
> * 'git merge-base <A> <B>' may walk many commits to find the correct
>   boundary between the commits reachable from A and those reachable
>   from B. No commit messages are needed.
>
> * 'git branch -vv' checks ahead/behind status for all local branches
>   compared to their upstream remote branches. This is essentially as
>   hard as computing merge bases for each.

This is great, spotted / questions so far:

* git graph --blah says you need to enable the config, should say
  "unknown option --blah <help>". I.e. overzelous config guard.

* On a big repo (git show-ref -s | ~/g/git/git-graph --write
  --update-head) is as of writing this still hanging for me, but strace
  shows it's brk()-ing. Presumably just still busy, a progress bar would
  be very nice.

* Shouldn't there be a pack.useGraph option so this gets auto-updated on
  repack? I understand this series is a WIP, so that's more a "is that
  the UI" than "it needs now".