Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/5] diff --ignore-case

From: Thomas Rast <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 15:06:30 +0100

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Am 20.02.2012 03:16, schrieb Junio C Hamano:
>>> This teaches our "diff" machinery to optionally consider lines that are
>>> different only in upper/lower-cases to be equivalent.
>>
>> When would I want to use --ignore-case?
>
> I wouldn't myself; it was just I saw somebody asked if -G can be used to
> do case insensitive and then I realized we do not even support such in the
> diff machinery to begin with, but now this opens a way to do so by copying
> the xdl options when the pickaxe-grep codepath runs a subdiff.

I wonder which one of us misunderstood the original request ;-)

It was

} Is there any way to run diff -G with a case insensitivity flag?

and I took that to mean "I want to find addition/removal of a string
like -G does, but I don't know how it was capitalized".  OTOH you
interpreted it as "I want to run -G but ignore changes in case while
diffing".

So maybe Chris can comment on what was intended?

-- 
Thomas Rast
trast@{inf,student}.ethz.ch