Subject: Re: [RFC/PATCH] i18n of multi-line messages

From: Thomas Rast <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 18:07:57 +0100

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> I think the easiest way to tackle that sort of thing is to just do:
>>
>>     _("hint: %.*s\n")
>>
>> And have a TRANSLATORS comment indicating that the format string
>> should be kept, but that translators can move around the "hint", GNU
>> gettext also has a msgcheck feature to check that format strings are
>> compatible in the translations.
>
> Good point. Thanks.

Note that your commit message in pu still says

     - append each line in the result to localization of the "hint: " prefix.

even though you now fixed that to be more general.

(It also has a very weird case of mixed indentation when I view it with
'git show':

        advise(_("Please rename %s to something else"), gostak);
            advise(_("so that we can avoid distimming %s unnecessarily."), doshes);

Apparently the first line is indented with a tab, and the second with 8
spaces.)

-- 
Thomas Rast
trast@{inf,student}.ethz.ch