Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 07/13] meson: drop separate version library

From: Toon Claes <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2025 14:24:42 +0100

Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]> writes:

> When building `libgit.a` we link it against a `libgit_version.a` library
> that contains the version information that we inject at build time. The
> intent of this is to avoid rebuilding all of `libgit.a` whenever the
> version changes. But that wouldn't happen in the first place, as we know
> to just rebuild the files that depend on the generated "version-def.h"
> file.
>
> This is an artifact of an earlier version of the Meson build infra that
> didn't ultimately land. We didn't yet have "version-def.h", and instead
> injected the version via preprocessor directives. And here we would have
> rebuilt all of `libgit.a` indeed in case the version changes, because
> the preprocessor directive applied to all files.
>
> Stop building the separate library and instead add "version-def.h" to
> the list of source files directly.

I'm happy to see this "optimazation" go. The solution using
"version-def.h" seems simpler and more straightforward. Thanks!

--
Toon