Subject: Re: how to rename remote branches, the long way

From: Antoine Beaupré <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2021 14:03:17 -0400

On 2021-04-24 17:38:02, brian m. carlson wrote:
> On 2021-04-24 at 00:22:06, Antoine Beaupré wrote:

[...]

>> Or, maybe, should this script be sent as a [PATCH] instead and just be
>> merged into git itself? Maybe in contrib/? I do see some Python in
>> there, so I don't feel too much like an heretic... Obviously, it could
>> be rewritten in C, but it would feel such a pain in the back to me... I
>> already rewrote it from this shell script, which is still available
>> here:
>
> In general, Git tries to remain neutral on forges and therefore we're
> probably not super likely to adopt tooling that's specific to a set of
> forges.  I do, of course, think this script has utility and serves a
> particular need for users, even though it's not likely that Git will
> host it itself.

Thanks. I have patched the script to avoid requiring the gitlab library
to run, with that in mind. Of course, there's some forge-specific code
in there, but if it's not available, it should work transparently, with
a "plain" SSH remote...

But I understand your perspective, thanks for the feedback.

a.
-- 
La démocratie réelle se définit d'abord et avant tout par la
participation massive des citoyens à la gestion des affaires de la cité.
Elle est directe et participative. Elle trouve son expression la plus
authentique dans l'assemblée populaire et le dialogue permanent sur
l'organisation de la vie en commun.  - De la servitude moderne